Preparation TimeApproximately 40 minutes
|1/2 cup||parmesan cheese|
|1/2 lb, or 2 cups||mozzarella cheese shredded|
|1 large or several small||eggplant|
|2 cups||Italian plum tomatoes (fresh or canned)|
|2 tablespoons fresh, or 2 teaspoons dried||chopped fresh basil, or dried basil|
|4 T||olive oil|
|to taste||fresh ground pepper|
|1/2 cup||unseasoned breadcrumbs|
|pasta or rice noodles|
1. In a medium non-aluminum saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add basil and tomatoes and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 425
3. Split the eggplants lengthwise. Being careful not to puncture the skins, hollow out with a paring knife leaving the shells about 1/2 inch thick. Place the shells in a buttered baking dish.
4. Chop eggplant pulp into 1/2 inch dice. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan and saute the pulp briefly, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. In a large bowl, combine the pulp with mozzarella, Parmesan, and half of the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill the eggplant shells with the mixture, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and top with remaining tomato sauce.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until crust forms on top. Cool briefly before serving over a bed of pasta, or rice noodles.