Source The English Kitchen
ServesMany - One 7in square cake
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Grease a 7 inch square cake tin. Line with baking paper and grease the baking paper. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks until light in colour. Slowly beat in one cup of sugar, beating with a spoon for five minutes. Fold in the egg whites.
4. Sift the flour together with the baking powder and salt. Fold this into the egg and sugar mixture.
5. Stir the butter into the hot milk until it is melted and then gently stir the hot milk into the cake batter, mixing it all in well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until well risen and the cake tests down when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Remove to a wire rack to cool for five minutes, before removing from the cake tin to finish cooling completely on the wire rack.
7. My dad always liked this plain, split in the middle and filled with strawberry jam. It's also great filled with lemon curd and whipped cream, with a bit of icing sugar dusted on top.