|3/4 cup||maple syrup|
|2/3 cup||dark brown sugar||packed|
|1 teaspoon||baking soda|
|1 teaspoon||ground allspice|
|6 tablespoons||Butter||room temperature|
|1/8 teaspoon||ground cloves|
|2 teaspoons||baking powder|
|1 1/2 cup||all-purpose flour|
1. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the sweet potato, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potato and allow it to cool slightly; then peel it and cut into several pieces. Puree the potato in a food processor or blender until smooth (should be about 1/2 cup)
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and cloves.
3. Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time beating well in between. Gently stir in the milk, maple syrup, and the potato mixture.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the potato mixture into it. Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated- do not over-mix.
5. Fill the cups about two thirds full with batter and bake at 350 F until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow them to cool.