Source Olive to Cook
Serves2 to 4
|1 lb, sliced in half lengthwise or quartered if large||brussel sprouts|
|1 ounce, cut into matchsticks||soppressata|
|6 to 8 olives, diced||kalamata olives|
|1/4 tsp||red pepper flakes|
|1 tbsp, cut into 1/2 tbsp slices||Butter|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|2 tbsp, grated||parmesan cheese|
|enough to cover pan||Pam spray|
1. Place the sliced brussel sprouts into a bowl with about an inch of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, until the brussel sprouts start to cook a little bit. Drain.
2. Over medium-high heat, spray a large skillet with Pam and cook the shallots, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes until the shallots start to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Remove the shallots, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes from the skillet and set aside.
4. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter into the olive oil in the same skillet. Lower heat to medium. (There's something about combining butter and olive oil that creates a more rich flavor.) Place all of the sliced brussel sprouts into the skillet SLICED SIDE DOWN. This is very important so that you get a nice crust on one side while the outer part of the sprout is tender.
5. Cover the brussel sprouts in the pan and allow the steam to cook them through. After about five minutes, check for doneness. If they are nice and brown, perfect. If not, let them go a few more minutes. Once that step is complete, add the shallots, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes back to the pan as well as the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Saute the mixture until well combined, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.