Source The English Kitchen
Serves4 to 6
|1 kg, cut into pieces||aubergines|
|extra virgin olive oil|
|2 medium, peeled and thinly sliced||onion|
|2, halved, deseeded and cut into pieces||red bell peppers|
|2, halved, deseeded and cut into pieces||yellow bell peppers|
|6 smallish, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into pieces||courgettes|
|4 cloves, peeled and thinly sliced||fresh garlic|
|4 medium tomatoes, halved and chopped||tomato|
|one small bunch, coarsely chopped||fresh basil|
|to taste||sea salt|
|to taste, freshly ground||ground black pepper|
1. Slice your aubergines and brush them on one side with some olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and roast in a hot oven (200*C/400*F) for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip over and brush the other sides with some olive oil and return them to the heated oven to roast for another 15 minutes. They should be lightly browned when done. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Heat 3 TBS of olive oil in a large casserole with a lid. Add the onions and cook until soft, some 3 to 5 minutes. Salt lightly.
3. Add all of the peppers and cook for 5 to 8 minutes longer, stirring often.
4. Turn up the heat to keep the sizzling sound going, but don't let it burn. Season lightly again. Add one more tablespoon of the oil and the courgettes. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes longer.
5. Add the roasted aubergine, cut into chunks along with the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes, basil, thyme and the bay leaf. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, then lower the heat and cover.
6. Simmer gently for for 30 minutes, checking occasionally and giving it a good stir. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaf. This tastes best when served at room temperature. Garnish with a few sliced basil leaves and a good grinding of black pepper.