|1 T||unflavored gelatin|
|1/2 c||cold water|
|4, slightly beated||egg yolks|
|1/3 c||lime juice|
|1 t||lime zest|
|1/4 t||lemon zest|
|green food coloring|
|graham cracker||Baked pie shell|
1. Soften the gelatin in the cold water. Set aside.
2. Combine the egg yolks, 1/2 c sugar, salt, lime juice, and both zests in the top of a double boiler and mix. Cook over boiling water until thick and foamy while beating constantly with a whisk or rotary beater.
NOTE: This will take some time- the mixture should expand.
3. Remove from heat. Add the gelatin and blend. Add the green food coloring and mix. Cool the mixture to room temperature until thick enough to mound slightly when dropped from a spoon.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/2 c sugar gradually.
5. Fold egg whites into gelatin mix. Pile lightly into a cool baked pie shell (graham cracker is recommended). Refrigerate several hours or overnight.