|1 teaspoon||dried thyme|
|1 teaspoon||fresh rosemary||chopped|
|1 tablespoon||tomato paste|
|1 (145-ounce) can||tomatoes||(whole or diced)|
|1/2 cup||fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves|
|1||carrot||peeled and chopped|
|1/4 cup||all-purpose flour|
|2 1/2 pounds||beef short ribs||(I use boneless)|
|2 ounces||pancetta||chopped (about 1⁄2 cup)|
|3 tablespoons||olive oil|
|1/2 teaspoon||dried oregano|
|2 1/2 cups||Beef broth|
|3/4 cup||red wine|
|1 pound||fresh tagliatelle||or dried|
|4 to 6 teaspoons||bittersweet chocolate||shaved|
|black pepper||freshly ground|
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set it aside.
3. Add the short ribs to the pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes total. Meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley, garlic, tomatoes, and tomato paste in a food processor and pulse until finely minced. Once the short ribs are browned, add the minced vegetables to the pot along with the pancetta and stir.
4. Add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the short ribs and let cool briefly on a plate. Shred the meat and return it to the pot, discarding the bones. Discard the bay leaf. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
6. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until -tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta or 2 to 3 minutes for fresh.
7. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot with the short rib ragù and stir to combine. If needed, add the reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten the pasta.
8. Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings, and serve immediately.