|4||boneless skinless chicken breast filets|
|1/8 tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||onion powder|
|1/2 tsp||ground black pepper|
|1/2 tsp||cayenne pepper||(you can use more if you are so inclined!)|
|1 cup||plain flour|
|1 1/2 tsp||salt|
|1/3 cup||hot pepper sauce|
|8 slices||bread||(I used an oat and barley loaf here) or 4 burger buns|
|8 tsp||mayonnaise||good quality|
|4 thick slices||tomato|
1. Combine the pepper sauce and water in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika and garlic powder in a shallow bowl and mix well. Set aside.
3. Put the chicken filets into a plastic baggie, one at a time, and give them a good bash, without tearing them, until they are about 3/8 of an inch thick.
4. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, coat them in the flour mixture, then dip them into the pepper sauce mixture and then again in the flour mixture again, making sure they are well coated. Set aside on a plate and repeat until you have all four pieces coated.
5. Heat about ¼ inch of cooking oil in a large skillet. Once it is hot fry the chicken fillets for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side over medium high heat until they are light brown and crispy. You may need to do this in batches, so keep the ones you have done warm in the oven while you do the rest.
6. Toast the faces of the hamburger buns under the grill or if you are using bread, in the toaster. Spread about 2 tsp of mayonnaise on one slice of each of the four buns/slices of bread. Place a tomato slice on the mayonnaise and then stack a lettuce leaf on top. Place the cooked, warm chicken filet on top and then place the top half of the bun/bread over top. Serve hot.