Preparation Timeabout an hour
|About 1/2 lb||cheese||Gruyere, Munster, Provolone, Swiss, or Mozzarella work well|
|1 Cup||Dry Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon works well)||Divided|
|1 Loaf||French bread||Sliced|
|3 Teaspoons||brown sugar|
|2 lb||onions, sliced||Yellow, vidalia, red, or a mix of any : )|
|2 Tablespoons||olive oil|
|2 quarts||vegetable broth|
1. Heat oil in large pot.
2. Add onions and saute until softened.
3. Add brown sugar, 1/2 cup wine, and pepper.
4. Continue to cook about 20 minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized.
5. Add broth, remaining wine, and garlic.
6. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
7. Ladle into broiler-safe ramekins* and top with bread and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
8. *If you do not have broiler safe ramekins or bowls, simply place the bread on a cookie sheet, top it with cheese, and place in the broiler. Then ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the pre-cooked bread.*