Preparation Time60 minutes
|2 cloves||fresh garlic|
|1 cup||half & half or heavy cream|
|2 cups||grated mixed cheeses|
|12 ounces||artichoke hearts, strained||Two six ounce jars, reserve liquid|
|1 tsp.||dried basil|
1. Drain artichoke hearts and reserve liquid. Chop artichoke hearts.
2. Chop onion and garlic. Saute in butter. Add reserve artichoke liquid and saute until evaporated.
3. Grate whatever leftover cheeses you have in the fridge. The beauty of this recipe is that you can combine leftover hard cheeses, mozzarella, strong flavored and blue cheese, the crusts and rinds of whatever you have, until you have two cups.
4. Line oblong baking dish (13x9 or 11x7) with bottom pie crust.
5. Beat eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and basil. Add chopped artichokes, grated cheese, and sauteed onions and combine well.
6. Pour mixture into baking dish on top of pie crust and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until firm. When cooled, cut into two inch squares and transfer to serving dish.Can be served warm or cool, made the day before and reheated.