Source Simple Suppers by The Moosewood Collective
|1/4 tsp||black pepper|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1/2 lb||chunky pasta||(I used shells)|
|1/2 cup||white wine|
|4 oz||blue cheese||crumbled|
1. Start the pasta boiling, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and then add the pasta.
2. While the water is heating, warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and spread them out to have maximum contact with the bottom of the skillet. The bigger the skillet, the more room the onions have and the faster they will caramelise. Don't be tempted to turn the heat up, leave it at medium.
3. When the onions are lightly caramelised, add the mushrooms and stir them in. Let it keep cooking until the mushrooms are just beginning to give off water.
4. Add the wine and let it keep cooking at a simmer until most (but not all) of the liquid has cooked off. Then reduce the heat to low and keep adding a little pasta water as needed until the pasta is done.
5. When the pasta is done, reserve some pasta water, then drain the pasta and place it in a large mixing bowl. Add the contents of the skillet (and give it a rinse with the reserved water). Mix in the blue cheese crumbles to coat the pasta. If you'd prefer more of a sauce add more of the pasta water. Enjoy!